I am an optimist. I believe God is in control of His world. I believe He works all things together for our good and His glory for those who love, trust and obey Him. I believe His plans for His people are good, for a future and a hope (even though we often have to wait long periods of time for these promises to come true).
But I’m also a realist. I know we live in a terribly fallen world. I know this world does not operate according to God’s original intent. One day, Jesus will return and God’s created order will be restored. But until that day, life often stinks. Hurts still happen.
Therefore, in 2015, don’t be surprised if you see:
· A continual, aggressive expansion of ISIS, where evil is personified in horrific fashion.
· More cities in the United States experiencing the tinderbox of racial tensions and anger.
· More revelations of leaders with hidden sins that are just now being exposed.
· A fluctuating economy, one that will take a few dips and dives in the new year.
· More global tensions among nations, as each seeks its own safety, security and power.
I believe all this (and more evil) will occur because sin is still in the world. Malevolent evil still prospers, and will continue to do so, until Jesus returns.
But don’t despair. God still sits on his throne. He oversees the tumult of the nations. He is guiding the prejudice in souls.
Yes, we need to work for God’s kingdom in heaven to come to earth. That’s our job description. It’s a forever job description. It won’t change until Jesus returns.
And he will return. Just don’t be discouraged. Remain hopeful in this new year.
God knows what he is doing!